Thursday, April 14, 2011

Blueberry Bliss: Whole Wheat Pancakes with Blueberry Compote

ww pancakes w blueberry compote I woke up  wanting pancakes, and after perusing my latest copy of Woman’s Day this morning, I had a plan – pancakes with blueberry compote (pg 182 of the May 2011 issue or you can click here for a slide show presentation of the article “How to Make Pancakes”).  Of course, since I’ve basically eschewed White Death Flour, I make 100% whole wheat pancakes now. I decided to look for a new recipe since I’d just been adapting my normal pancake recipe by substituting whole wheat flour. I found this delicious recipe at AllRecipes.com and made a couple adaptations to suit our real-food lifestyle…


I left the blueberries out of the pancakes and made Blueberry Compote instead…recipe follows the pancake recipe

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/4 c whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder (aluminum-free)
  • 1 egg (pastured)
  • 1 c milk (raw)(+ up to 1/4 cup more if needed)
  • 1/2 tsp salt (sea)
  • 1 tbs artificial sweetner raw sugar
  • 1 tbs melted coconut oil (no oil called for in original recipe)
  • 1/2 c blueberries
METHOD:

Sift together the flour and baking powder (I’m too “efficient” for that…just mix them together well!), set aside. Beat together the egg, milk, salt and sugar in a bowl. Stir in flour until just moistened, add coconut oil and blueberries and stir to incorporate.

Cook pancakes on a hot griddle or cast iron skillet. The most important part of making great pancakes is PATIENCE! You simply MUST wait until it’s the right time to flip them…when the top is bubbly and the edges look dry, then it’s time to flip. It’s hard, I know…I’m still guilty of premature pancake flipping from time to time…I don’t like to wait…

Serve with your favorite pancake toppings…might I suggest:

Organic, pastured butter made from raw cream and this fabulously easy and delicious Blueberry Compote recipe with a drizzle of fresh, raw cream…


The link above will take you to Woman’s Day magazine’s website, where you’ll find a slideshow showing how to make perfect pancakes. This recipe is on step 4 of the slide show, or on pg 182 of the May 2011 issue of Woman’s Day

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 c frozen (or ideally, fresh organic) blueberries
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbs raw sugar (I actually used less and it was still delicious…adjust for your taste)
METHOD:

In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and syrupy, 5 to 6 minutes

wwpancakes eaten
Bon appetit!

No comments :

Post a Comment