Monday, March 14, 2011

Crockpot Love: Mexicali Chicken and Cheese Sandwiches

The switch to DST (Dumb Stupid Time in my book) always leaves me off-kilter for basically the entire 8 months of this ridiculous practice. So, my crockpot and I continue our love affair…only changing things up a bit from chili, soups and stews. Tonight, it’s an adaptation of a recipe I found on Food.com called by the same name…Mexicali Chicken and Cheese Sandwiches. My DST stupor has left me too uninspired to change the name…really, I’m just happy I got it in the crockpot in time to be done for supper…

MEXICALI CHICKEN AND CHEESE SANDWICHES
INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/4 c water
  • several generous shakes of your favorite pepper sauce, I used LaBelle No. 5 Pepper Clear, a mild sauce with vinegar and garlic
  • appx 1 Tbs Miss Tink’s House Seasoning, more or less to taste
  • 3/4 c home-canned salsa
  • 1/4 c no HFCS ketchup
  • 1/4 c water
  • 3/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • shredded Monterey Jack cheese, or other shredded cheese
  • Hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls
METHOD:
Place chicken breasts, water, and pepper sauce in crockpot. Sprinkle seasoning over chicken. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-8 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. Drain liquid and shred chicken, add remaining ingredients except for buns and cheese and cook in crockpot until heated through or cook in a pan on the stove. Put on buns and top with cheese. You can then broil if you like. I don’t know what happened to the broiler innards in our oven so I didn’t broil them. Just let them sit until the cheese melts or pop them in the oven for a few minutes.

No comments :

Post a Comment