Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Today's Gluten Free Eats

My last post was of my surprising results at GF baking, bread and brownies! That makes me so happy. But that wasn't all we ate of course. Here's our menu for the day:

BREAKFAST:

Pumpkin Pie Millet and apple slices with "chia juice"

PUMPKIN PIE MILLET based on this great recipe at sugarfreemom.com
ingredients:
  • 2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup millet
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 2 Tbs plain yogurt
  • generous splash of real vanilla
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
method:

Cook 3/4 cup dry millet in 2 cups of boiling water until water is absorbed, about twenty minutes. Add canned pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, a pinch of sea salt, plain yogurt and maple syrup and mix well.  Serve warm with fruit or vanilla yogurt if desired.

Pumpkin Pie Millet...yum!

"Chia Juice" is a scoop of chia seeds in some home made grape juice I canned this summer. Stir for one minute, then let sit for five. The seeds get kind of gelatinous. Mister loves his chia juice!

LUNCH:

Carmelized Onion Burgers with Secret Sauce, Cottage Cheese, Monterrey Jack cheese slices, fresh broccoli


I had intended on eating tuna salad for lunch for some odd reason, just sounded good. My husband was home and requested a burger, and after making one for him I had a hankering for one myself.  His had Swiss cheese, but I like sharp Cheddar. The "Secret Sauce" started out with mayo and then I added a whole bunch of spices and some nutritional yeast. When I made mine, I kicked it up a notch with an extra dose of Emeril's Essense and a splash of Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. Mmmmm. 


"Dessert" was plain yogurt sweetened with honey, a splash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

SUPPER:

Chili and Sticky Rice, veggies and homemade ranch dip, GF Brownies

No recipe for this...I grabbed a frozen chunk of leftover chili out of the freezer, dumped it in the crockpot, added some great northern beans and a generous splash of tomato juice and set it on low to cook for a while. Sticky Rice is glutinous rice (but not the kind of gluten that causes problems) and is steamed in a bamboo rice steamer. It's like the rice they use in Sushi. We love to dip it in our chili or just eat it plain. Not really a low glycemic index food, so I don't eat a lot of it, but man is it ever good. The GF Brownies were so delicious! You can read about these yummy brownies here. Then go make some, you won't be disappointed!

No comments :

Post a Comment