Monday, August 9, 2010

The Moist Amazing (Blueberry) Banana Bread Ever

While searching for a recipe for blueberry banana bread, I came across this little gem of a recipe. The author at GreatGrub gives credit to Martha Stewart for the "secret ingredient" in this recipe...something I would never have thought of adding to a quick bread. Normally, I find Martha to be rather pretentious, especially considering her stint in prison, but I must say this recipe makes up for that and then some. The result was a delightfully moist and flavorful bread that has far exceeded the many banana breads I have whipped up in years past. I can't wait to make this again!

SUPER MOIST (BLUEBERRY) BANANA BREAD

EQUIPMENT:
  • Electric mixer
  • Sieve
  • Spatula
  • 9x5x3 bread loaf pan
  • Parchment paper
  • Cooling rack
  • Preheat oven to 350°F
INGREDIENTS:
  • ¼ pound (1 stick) butter, unsalted and at room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup organic Sucanat sugar, or brown sugar of choice
  • 1 ½ cups organic unbleached flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup mashed banana, super ripe
  • 1 teaspoon Tahitian vanilla extract
  • ½ cup sour cream (SECRET INGREDIENT)
  • 1/2 cup or more of fresh blueberries (My addition!)
METHOD:
Sieve together the flour, salt and baking soda, then set aside. Cream the butter in the mixer. Once the butter is fluffy, add the sugar and blend the mixture well. Then, add each egg, blending in between. Mix in one third of the dry ingredients and then one third of the banana. Repeat twice. Add the vanilla extract. Blend in the sour cream. Gently fold in blueberries. Turn the batter into the loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Letter batter stand for 15 minutes. Bake for 1 hour. To test if it is done, insert a knife and if it comes out clean, it is ready. Turn the finished loaf on to a cooling rack. Serve when you can't stand to wait any longer.

***REMEMBER to never over work your batter, unless you want a tough, cakey finish!***
 =======================================
I didn't make too many changes or substitutions this time...I used about half Ultragrain Whole Wheat flour and half unbleached bread flour...salted butter (I never have UNsalted butter on hand...I've never understood the purpose of unsalted butter...) and cut back just a bit on the salt (not quite a full measure).  Using the organic sucanat was a new one for me, I don't usually use it in baking, but it rendered a sweetness that was dark and rich, with a depth of flavor you just won't find with plain old brown sugar.

Many thanks to Angela at GreatGrub for this unbelievably amazing banana bread recipe! Be sure to check out her website, it's full of great cooking info! Hopefully it will last longer next time and I can take some pictures...but trust me, this is one for the recipe box for sure!

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! (Fellow Hoosier!) Yes, we LOVE water kefir soda. In fact, I have an OVERABUNDANCE of grains! That is what I plan on guzzling during my labor in a few weeks! Best wishes!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete